The CEPE LCI project was the starting point for multiple sectorial projects to tackle the gate to grave part of the paint life cycle.
Sectorial screening studies
A number of screening studies have been conducted on sectorial projects. The concept is to run a quick study on a specific coating application to have an idea of the role of paints in the impact of this application. So far, the following studies have been conducted: powder coating protection of aluminium window frames, application of protective coatings on a steel bridge, application on coated steel building panels. More sectors are investigating potential studies.
Decorative paints – the Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) pilot project
The PEF methodology was developed to allow better comparison of life cycle assessment results. The methodology has been tested by 24 pilots on a large variety of products in a 4 year pilot phase which started in November 2013. CEPE was involved in the pilot phase with Decorative paints.
Why did CEPE join?
• European Commission initiative – CEPE responded to the call for interest.
• Level playing field for Green Products in Europe and to harmonize as much as possible!
• Harmonization across Europe would solve some of the biggest challenges in the sector of Paints.
• Make simpler the 460 labels that are currently available in the market • One PEF for B2B and B2C
• Saves money and engages SMEs to also participate!
Achievement in terms of uptake
CEPE is a proud supporter of the European commission’s effort for better and more harmonised LCI data via the PEF project. For this reason, we have led the EF complaint Chemicals for Paints database which we shared our knowledge as sector to the most representative and most up to date database that exists in Europe.
The project was done together with Ecoinvent, GreenDelta and Ecomatters. The CEPE LCI database is the basis and it covers 88 datasets for raw materials that are used specifically in Decorative Paints. The methodology that is used is according to the European Commission requirements for the PEF methodology. In order to use this database, you have to perform PEF calculations. The EF database fulfill certain requirements regarding:
• Same scope
• Independent review by LCA experts per dataset